Of course we all follow the health and safety advice to take a 5-10 minute break every 60 minutes when working on a computer screen don’t we? What, you don’t??
Here are 10 productive things (other than the coffee run) you could do during that time…
- Get up from your desk and speak to a colleague you don’t normally speak to. Who knows what you might learn.
- Do 10 minutes of filing or shredding. Now doesn’t that feel better?
- Get creative: do 10 minutes of brainstorming using pens and a whiteboard or flipchart.
- Read a work related magazine article you’ve been meaning to read.
- Go through your diary, plan and anticipate deadlines.
- Stay hydrated by drinking a glass of water.
- Do some desk-based exercises.
- Work at home? 10 minutes of laundry, washing dishes or hoovering is 10 minutes you won’t have to do later.
- Work in an office? Collect all those disgusting mugs and wash them up, water the office plants or tidy your desk.
- Clean your computer: tip your keyboard upside down and tap it lightly. Brace yourself for the amount of crumbs, hair and yuck that will come out. Wipe your screen and keyboard keys with a damp cloth or antibacterial wipe.
What would you add to this list?